It is time for the September’s major update. Let’s quickly run through all the new stuff.
Roguelike mode is out of beta
After three months in beta, we are satisfied with the general stability and balance of the roguelike mode, which is why it’s time for it to exit the cocoon. This doesn’t mean we won’t be adjusting minor stuff of course, but gameplay wise roguelike mode offers the unique permadeath experience we hoped for.
This update adds over 450 new sounds and remastered version of selected old ones. Many cards get their own sound and dungeons should sound more lively. Finally, the game sounds like we wanted it to sound!
Aside from a lot of new sounds we are also adding over 300 new lines of spoken dialogues and one-liners. Expect all characters to get a lot more chatty and crack occasional jokes. They will comment on fights and events in the game.
More card variants!
Many of you asked for this feature so we ironed out a few code quirks and now you will be able to find rare magical cards with two properties. And yes, left and right winged cards are possible. Not only that, occasionally a card with three properties can be found.
And disenchantable too!
But wait, there is more! Since this boosts the number of cards that can be found by a few thousands we also added card disenchanting. For a modest amount of gold, you can destroy a variant you have no use for to get back a rune card.
Version 0.96.17062+ 5h September 2018
- Magic cards now can have up to three properties
- Magic cards can now be disenchanted into Rune cards
- Added notification when the player has found all common cards in the game
- Added over 450 new sounds
- Added over 300 new lines of spoken dialogues (except the Mage, recording his voice took longer than expected)
- Added a few new easter eggs
- Skipping cutscenes in dungeon now requires holding key down for 1.5 second to avoid accidental skipping
- Fixed Skeleton Belt’s bonus values when browsing unequipped potion card variants
- Added in-game disclaimer about tutorials. Shown on the first dungeon entry.
- Amulet magical bonuses (like passive health bonus) will work in Roguelike mode regardless of the target
- Fixed an issue with Archdemon Sweep skill triggering after loading a game saved when fighting him
- Fixed Cook not saying his lines on 3rd mastering level
- Improved and extended tutorials
- Made crows more explodey
- Added new “Ready for magic” achievement
- Added new “Ready for stories” achievement
- Added new “A-maze-ing!” achievement
- Added new “Don’t Die Hard” achievement
- Added new “Master Chef” achievement
- Added new “Craving Battle” achievement
- Added new “Golden pot” achievement
- Added new “1 step back” achievement
Related posts (5):
The Mac native port is ready and went live on Steam moments before this post was published. The game fully supports Steam Cloud on both Windows and Mac, so you can now enjoy it on the system you prefer whenever you feel like switching. Other... more
What initially started as difficulty settings eventually ended as different modes. The changes run deep, rendering Daredevil setting absolute, among other things. Both new modes are in what we consider a beta stage. This... more
It means the world to us when players support our game as influencers – with a single click you can join them! If you like the game and wish to help us it would be awesome if you would consider spreading the word on social media or maybe even... more
After nearly 3 years of development Book of Demons finally has a Steam Early Access release date! It will launch on the 28th of July and we’re incredibly hyped about it, because it will probably be the most important day in the history of our... more
A little over a week ago we went to Digital Dragons to take part in the Indie Showcase competition and to showcase a playable version of Book of Demons for the very first time. And guess what?! We won an award and got feedback from people like Chris... more