It is time for the September’s major update. Let’s quickly run through all the new stuff.
Roguelike mode is out of beta
After three months in beta, we are satisfied with the general stability and balance of the roguelike mode, which is why it’s time for it to exit the cocoon. This doesn’t mean we won’t be adjusting minor stuff of course, but gameplay wise roguelike mode offers the unique permadeath experience we hoped for.
This update adds over 450 new sounds and remastered version of selected old ones. Many cards get their own sound and dungeons should sound more lively. Finally, the game sounds like we wanted it to sound!
Aside from a lot of new sounds we are also adding over 300 new lines of spoken dialogues and one-liners. Expect all characters to get a lot more chatty and crack occasional jokes. They will comment on fights and events in the game.
More card variants!
Many of you asked for this feature so we ironed out a few code quirks and now you will be able to find rare magical cards with two properties. And yes, left and right winged cards are possible. Not only that, occasionally a card with three properties can be found.
And disenchantable too!
But wait, there is more! Since this boosts the number of cards that can be found by a few thousands we also added card disenchanting. For a modest amount of gold, you can destroy a variant you have no use for to get back a rune card.
Version 0.96.17062+ 5h September 2018
- Magic cards now can have up to three properties
- Magic cards can now be disenchanted into Rune cards
- Added notification when the player has found all common cards in the game
- Added over 450 new sounds
- Added over 300 new lines of spoken dialogues (except the Mage, recording his voice took longer than expected)
- Added a few new easter eggs
- Skipping cutscenes in dungeon now requires holding key down for 1.5 second to avoid accidental skipping
- Fixed Skeleton Belt’s bonus values when browsing unequipped potion card variants
- Added in-game disclaimer about tutorials. Shown on the first dungeon entry.
- Amulet magical bonuses (like passive health bonus) will work in Roguelike mode regardless of the target
- Fixed an issue with Archdemon Sweep skill triggering after loading a game saved when fighting him
- Fixed Cook not saying his lines on 3rd mastering level
- Improved and extended tutorials
- Made crows more explodey
- Added new “Ready for magic” achievement
- Added new “Ready for stories” achievement
- Added new “A-maze-ing!” achievement
- Added new “Don’t Die Hard” achievement
- Added new “Master Chef” achievement
- Added new “Craving Battle” achievement
- Added new “Golden pot” achievement
- Added new “1 step back” achievement
Related posts (5):
Our last roadmap began with the words ‘2019 was a particularly chaotic time for all of us here.’ Oh boy, were we in for a big surprise, because we all know how 2020 turned out. But was it really all that bad? Let’s find out! In the roadmap... more
Are you waiting for the newest generation of consoles? We too! But we are not bidding farewell to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One yet. You’ll be happy to hear that now you can enter the paper dungeons on these platforms (aaand Nintendo Switch!) as... more
As you know from previous announcements we have been working on bringing Book of Demons to iPads. Time for an update on that: we are finishing the beta tests and getting very positive feedback from players. Bugs are ironed out, controls... more
2019 was a particularly chaotic time for all of us here at Thing Trunk! A whole year has passed since Book of Demons went out of Early Access, so it’s high time we share with you what we’ve been up to for the last 12 months. In the spirit... more
Game developers don't share their early working concepts of games - the prototypes - often. When they do it's usually super interesting to see how the game changed and get a glimpse into the creation process. That's why we would like to... more